Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

My Trusty Road Warrior

I love my car. It’s an 8-year old beat-up road warrior that has seen better days, and my friends who are familiar with it (and have the ignominy of riding in it) can attest to the fact. But I love it. It has served me extremely well, through the good times and especially the bad.

Through the years I kept it running well, even with my limited knowledge of engine mechanism and tight, tight budget.

It suffered a few minor accidents here and there, including one where I had to have an entire door knocked back into shape. But yet the old warhorse faithfully sputtered to life every morning to do its job.

Then one day, I had to work deep in the city, because my then employer wanted to unload a few hundred staff, and I couldn’t find another job in a less congested area. So since then I had to subject my creaking ride to the unrelenting traffic jams under intense weather conditions and long distance traveling.

Then one evening, during the fasting month, in a stop-and-go traffic, the car ahead of made an emergency stop. I slammed the brakes. Even though my tires were screeching and almost skidding, I knew I could stop in time before I hit the front car. I was right. My ride stopped a few inches short of the silver Waja.

Unfortunately, the car behind didn’t have such luck. He slammed head long into my rear. In fact, in retrospect, I doubt he even attempt to brake at all, with my car absorbing the entire force of impact, hurtling my car the crash into the front silver Waja.

It was a wreck, not a sight for weak of heart (the 2 cars, not the driver. However, I did consider suing for whiplash).

It took two months plus to repair my car. Plus a few return trips to fix the niggling problems. The mechanics didn’t do a good job, (which insurance claims workshop does, anyway?) and to this day, more and more inherent problems are surfacing and refuse to go away.

But I still love my ride. Since the accident, I may have slackened on taking care of it, but the engine still runs smoothly.

Lately, I’ve tempted to look to changing cars. But of course, it’s just a pipe dream, with my payslip and bank balance laughing at my face.

So tomorrow morning, I’ll fire up the engine again for another long trek into the city, coaxing my silver grey steed for one more day on the job. As we office lackeys always say, another day, another dollar…



Back to main page.

12 Comments:

  • salute! to you and your car my man!

    By Blogger Kenny, at 7/05/2005 08:49:00 am  

  • Wow, didn't realize the accident was that bad.

    But your car has definitely lasted longer than mine :)

    Maybe its time to pay the Ford show room a visit?

    By Blogger Pat, at 7/05/2005 09:15:00 am  

  • ooouuuwww...

    For the first time, I didnt laugh while reading your post. Total salute to the car which serving the its master well. Salute to the owner who value the servant well too.

    By Blogger Johari Rahmad, at 7/05/2005 09:16:00 am  

  • ever considered trading in for a new car? it's still money. btw, i traded in my 22yo datsun 120Y car for RM4k only. i hope you dun try beating my 22yo record. muahahahar!

    By Blogger Buaya69, at 7/05/2005 09:48:00 am  

  • Awww.... May the car serve your many more years until you have the money to change a new one. :)

    By Blogger Jason Lioh, at 7/05/2005 10:41:00 am  

  • Wow, that accident is no joke. Thank God we gotta read it on your blog still.

    But then hor, after reading the whole thing somehow the very last line makes me feel like I am reading a cowboy's tribute to his horse. Something like Lone Ranger and Silver with nyawa ikan.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 7/05/2005 11:47:00 am  

  • knychai - thanks, my car says thanks too...

    pat - yeah, remember i said if i got a RM1000 increment i'll go straight to the Ford shorwroom? :P

    jojo - sorry i didn't make you laugh today... :)

    belacans - aiyo... i don't think this local car can last 22 years!

    jason - thanks, looks like its going to be a few more years.

    5xmom - yep, this horse drinks expensive petrol...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 7/05/2005 02:16:00 pm  

  • You havent tell us what car you're drivin. A Japan car?

    By Blogger CLF, at 7/05/2005 03:53:00 pm  

  • clf - nope, same car as 8555!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 7/05/2005 04:03:00 pm  

  • you need something BUILT TOUGH?

    By Blogger keng 坑, at 7/05/2005 08:47:00 pm  

  • iswara u driving....
    hope ur warhorse will get u a ride to success .

    By Blogger Zhee, at 7/06/2005 12:05:00 am  

  • keng - er... nope, i'll pass on the savvy, i think i'll stick to my old car...

    8555 - tell your master not to skimp on the routine car sevicing... bad for health, man...

    mengz - thanks... hope it will too...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 7/06/2005 02:02:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com