Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Favourite Bon Jovi Tracks

I didn’t realize it until the other day, I’ve been listening to Bon Jovi for more than 22 years. They started off as a poodle rock band out of Jersey, with their big hair and make-up that was the look at that time, through the maturing 90’s and right up until today where they are almost coming to the ‘aging rockers’ category.

Bon Jovi had always been the epitomy of good time rock and roll for me. A little less decadent than Poison and Motley Crue, but I think their music stands up much better over time compared to their long gone peers (Ratt? Winger?).



Anyway, i have most of their albums, and over the years have some of my favourite songs, here's my list (it's important to note that while songs from some albums are significantly missing here, it doesn't mean i don't like the album):

Living On A Prayer
What can I say? The first Bon Jovi song I heard, and the first one I fell in love with. The perfect hair-metal song that captures the mood of the era, wasn’t it? I love the working class story of getting by…

"It doesn’t matter if we make or not, we’ve got each other, and that’s a lot for love…"

Ironically, Bon Jovi would mention Tony and Gina again in another song 20 years later, I bet you know which one.



I’ll Be There For You
This is actually from their New Jersey album, the difficult one after ‘Slippery When Wet’ made them famous. I thought this was one of their best ballads, especially compared to the crappy ones from the 90’s onwards.



Dry County
One of the rare BJ songs with a message, it’s also only a few tracks I like from the Keep the Faith era. For some reasons, the lyrics remind me a lot of the Scorpions ‘Under the Same Sun’. Keep the Faith isn't high on my list of BJ albums, maybe because of the direction of music they had decided to take at that time, but this track still hums in my mind sometimes.



It’s My Life
A true return to form for the boys from Jersey. Bon Jovi obviously know only too well that in the new millennium, they will never be as famous as they once were, as the reality and evolution of rock music mean that their fans are already middle aged housewives, and the rock kakis (fans) are now probably nearing forty. But in the age of Linkin Park and Nickelback, Bon Jovi released a really fantastic record, and this single really showed that they still mean business.



Blaze of Glory
Not strictly a Bon Jovi, this was released by Jon Bon Jovi as a solo singer for the Young Guns soundtrack. I absolutely love this song, I remember always playing it on the jukebox at the Malay stall near my house. If that’s not enough, the video was superb, too.



Notable mentions:
You Give Love a Bad Name
Miracle
My Guitar Lies Bleeding In My Arms

I'm thinking BJ will still rock on for some time, even if they aren't the biggest live draw anymore. But you as they say, rock lives on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com