Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Monday, February 28, 2005

Avoid Times Square, man.

I knew I had it coming. The first (and supposedly last) time I went to Berjaya Times Square (BTS) when it first opened, I swore I wouldn’t go there again. Well, I had to break my promise last weekend.

On my first visit, I was stunned. Other than Debenhams (which is pretty small, and too overpriced for me), the whole place was so Ah-Beng, man. I was as if Sungei Wang Plaza transplanted itself and moved there. Hundreds and hundreds of shops selling Hong Kong fashion rejects, ladies shoes, DVD/VCD pirates, it was just too much for me. Even Sungei Wang had its redeeming qualities, BTS had none. There was no decent place to get a meal, not a single bookstore, not a single specialty shop of note. Just rows and rows of pigeon-hole shops (11 storeys, if I’m correct). And the top 6 floors are practically unoccupied.

So last weekend, my sis-in-law and her son came over from JB and wanted to try out the indoor roller-coaster park. OK, I needed to window-shop for a camera phone. So let’s give it another try, I said. Big mistake. Did you know that there isn’t a single phone shop in the thousands of shops there. I specifically remembered on my last visit there were plenty. I couldn’t believe it. There were many places selling phone accessories, but none selling phones. Is there is crackdown on legal phones now???!!

There still isn’t anywhere to get a decent meal, the upper floors are still totally empty, the 1000 Ah-Lian boutiques are still flourishing, the DVD pirates are still doing rip-roaring business. Interestingly, Borders are opening soon. I hope they really did a good market study.

7 Comments:

  • Oh no! You subjected yourself to Times Square! Poor you :) This year, besides BTS, I'm also avoiding MidValley - the parking there is crazy enough to make me want to go into a road rage - grr...

    But, when Borders opens in BTS, I'll probably go just to pass judgement on the bookstore :)

    By Blogger Amelia, at 2/28/2005 03:02:00 pm  

  • but, hey, at least MidValley has that MPH, and a few specialty shops i like. But you're right about the parking problem...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 2/28/2005 03:11:00 pm  

  • Totally agree that TimeSquare is dying slowly. I think the management did not control which kind of shop should appear, or they are having a hard time renting and selling off the shoplot

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/28/2005 03:42:00 pm  

  • Oh ya.. i had never like BTS since my visits there. My last trip was during Valentine, and my gf & I agreed there isn't much to see and even dine.

    Been there 4 times I think... first time was the best experience as it was just opening. Second time was totally disappointment: the reception told me no bookstore is around (and yet almost 2 years after, Borders is here but still not opened). It's a mall with good look but no class/content/personality inside.

    IMO, MidValley is far better than BTS, that's why the parking is frustrating i guess.

    By Blogger keng 坑, at 3/01/2005 07:42:00 am  

  • Maybe Borders is having 2nd thoughts!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 3/01/2005 08:18:00 am  

  • That's why 1 U is still my fav mall :) (but even parking there on weekends is impossible)

    I would only go to BTS for 2 reasons - Borders and IMAX.

    Patrick

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/04/2005 02:29:00 pm  

  • Go to 1 U must on Saturday must take bus, man...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 3/04/2005 02:49:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com