Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thursday, April 14, 2005

7 Movies that Truly Defined the 80's For Me

Seven movies that truly defined the 80’s for me:

E.T. (1982)– It’s was more than a year after it was released in the US that I finally got to watch Spielberg’s superb film about a docile finger-pointing alien in our local wooden cinema. This was back then, when films where good family fun, without any swearing, mindless violence and gratuitous sex. Sure, Predator and the Borg could kick E.T.’s ass, but the final bicycle chase scene sure stuck in our minds… And Drew Barrymore was such a cute kid back then.

Top Gun (1986) – Ah, yes. Tom Cruise in the ultimate cool movie of the decade. Propelled by one of the greatest soundtrack of all time, this movie shot Mr. Cruise to superstardom. Suddenly everyone was wearing gold-rimmed Ray-ban sunglasses and green Navy jackets (even in bloody hot Malaysia). Yeah, and everyone wanted cool nicknames like Iceman, Goose, etc. And what was the real storyline? Who cares?!

The Original Star Wars (1977-83)– Yeah, I understand the first movie was actually released in the 70’s, but by the time it came to Malaysia and the craze finally kick in, it was already the 80’s. Like most purist, I feel the original series has its place in history – it was so mind-blowing, there was nothing like it in the whole decade, and it really changed the way our generation looked at movies, science fiction, story-telling and how the good guy finally wins.

Mannequin (1987)– It wasn’t very big here, I caught it on video. But it was so cool and funny. I just found out the girl is actually Kim Cattrall of ‘Sex and the City’, she looked different then. As with all good movies, then it had a great soundtrack. What a great love story to give hope to all those with broken hearts and broken dreams to find the one you love…

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – It was swashbuckling adventure, it was funny, it had the expendable bad guys, it had a heroine and it had a good looking hero we all cheered for. For me, it was the first Western movie that followed the HK-Jackie Chan style – action and humor from start to the end. Most English movies I watch before that were booo-ring ‘talking’ movies.

Romancing the Stone/Jewel of the Nile (1984, 85) – yeah, sure, they couldn’t be taken seriously, but it was fun. That’s the whole point of movies, isn’t it?

Back to Future (1985) – For obvious reasons. The premise of it all was so exciting (back then), and the whole Oedipus complex was thing was irresistible. An 80’s kid caught in the 50’s. Spawned too many copycat movies after that. The sequels should never have been made.


Notable mentions: Empire of the Sun ('87), Gremlins ('84), Ghostbusters ('84), Spaceballs ('87), Top Secret! ('84) and Ferris Bueller ('86).

Back to main page.

16 Comments:

  • I think the original Star Wars are the best in the 80's.

    Back To The Future trilogy is good too. Micheal J Fox did a great job in the series!

    on thing that I didn't watch at that time was E.T.
    I only watched the annivesary edition of E.T. :(

    By Blogger kljs, at 4/14/2005 12:58:00 pm  

  • yeah, princess leia wuz such as a babe...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/14/2005 01:11:00 pm  

  • I haven't watch ET.

    I watched Top Gun because of the fighters instead of the storyline. I don't even know who acted in the movie. So, it was Tom Cruise heh~! :P

    Star Wars, oh, my favourite! Need I say more.

    Indiana Jones and Back To The Future, that 2 series are a classic wey!

    By Blogger Jason Lioh, at 4/14/2005 01:58:00 pm  

  • Wow, this really brought back memories, man. I did manage to watch Mannequin in the cinema, me and my schoolmates were crazy over Kim Catrall then. When I saw her in Sex and the City, it was like, how has she aged, man. The theme song was "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" :)

    Empire Of The Sun affected me deeply. I still remember where I saw it - in a cinema in Subang Jaya with only 3 other persons, when I was studying at Taylor's. I still keep a copy of the soundtrack in my car today.

    I only saw Return of The Jedi in the 80's, but many years later I managed to catch the special editions of IV, V and VI at the 1 U cineplex. That was when I finally understood why Empire Strikes Back was the best among them all. Again I have the soundtrack in my car :) it never fails to move me whenever I hear the Jedi's Theme...

    Three of my all time favourites were Wall Street (of "Greed is good" speech fame), Working Girl (Melanie Griffiths, Harrison Ford) and Electric Dreams (Virginia Madsen)

    One thing you probably noticed by now is that back then, music played a big part in every movie, so that's why we remember so many of them songs....."You've Lost That Loving Feeling", "Let The River Run", "Take My Breath Away", "Ghostbusters", "Love Is Love", etc...

    Have you ever seen Animalympics, this cartoon about the animal kingdom having their own Olympics? That was a classic :D

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/14/2005 06:16:00 pm  

  • Simon, check out www.fast-rewind.com :)

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/14/2005 06:22:00 pm  

  • kljs & jason - i think ET was too early for some of us... i couldn't remember much until i watched a rerun on TV. But i remember the finger pointing & bike scene!

    pat - did you get my mail? cool or what?

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/14/2005 06:38:00 pm  

  • star wars and indiana jones.. my all-time fav. Cant wait to watch the episode III. ;)

    ya.. pat, i love 'electric dreams' a lot, the theme song is a hit!

    By Blogger keng 坑, at 4/14/2005 09:05:00 pm  

  • The Original Trilogies are my favourite. I only dare to touch the new movies with a 10 foot stick. Mannequin is memorable, I first watched it on tv.

    Back to the Future? I never miss the reruns on TV2's 'Final Countdown'!

    By Blogger NSDS3HvLDjJd, at 4/14/2005 09:39:00 pm  

  • Dirty Dancing - Patrick Swayze
    Flash Dance - I wish I am forever young.
    Pretty Woman - I don't mind being a kai if can get Richard Gere.
    And all those movies by Harrison Ford.

    *sigh* Down memory lane when I was phak-thoring that time. But too bad I can't remember which movie I watched with which Ah Beng/Ah Kau/Ah Too! LOL!

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 4/15/2005 02:03:00 am  

  • OMG I loved ALL those movies!!! Hmm I must come up with a list of 90s movies too.
    good stuff!

    By Blogger Shan, at 4/15/2005 04:36:00 pm  

  • back to the future --> my fave! tops! =D

    By Blogger Nine, at 4/16/2005 12:13:00 am  

  • keng - i think ep3 is going to break all the box-office records.

    silencers & autumnmusic - yeah, too bad the sequels sucked.

    5xmom - when r u going to blog about all your old ah beng boyfriends? :)

    twinsmom - yeah, i watched alien when i was kid, scared me man...

    shan - yeah, i wanna read about it!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/18/2005 08:33:00 am  

  • When I was a kid, I rented this video of Bladerunner. It had Han Solo on the cover and it's supposed to have androids in it! Sweet! It turned out to be a 'talking movie' for grown-ups. Blah. About fifteen years later, I absorbed a bit of the cyberpunk and watched it again and appreciated it more, but still ... too much story and not enough guns.

    Anyway, not long after, I got conned by Harrison Ford again into watching The Mosquito coast again. After that, I started reading synopses more carefully.

    ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/19/2005 10:52:00 am  

  • Where's Terminator???????

    By Blogger Ghostbird, at 4/19/2005 12:36:00 pm  

  • sexymama - actually i only watched terminator on video in the early 80's... I wasn't impressed... but t2 was awesome...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/19/2005 06:01:00 pm  

  • sim600 - yeah that's true. bladerunner was supposed to be a really influential movie, but i did even hear about it in the 80's. same for tron.

    interesting fact, harrison ford acted in most of the big movies in the 80s...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/19/2005 06:03:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com