Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, April 01, 2005

Pros and Cons of Studying Locally

When I first started working, I met with and mixed with a lot of friends who studied overseas. One thing that really bugged me then was how when we in a big group together, they would go, “I remember when I was studying in London / Melbourne / Boston / Sydney / Baghdad…” or “KLCC is nothing, that shopping center in London is SO much better…”

Yeah right. Then they would ask me, “So where did you study? RMIT? Sheffield?” And I would reply, “No, locally…” Then they say “Oh…” while giving me that-“Oh, dear me, this poor Jakun…”-look.

Yeah, well, I’m damn proud to have studied in Malaysia. But before I go into a 2-page rant about it, let me just give you some of the advantages to have studied in Malaysia, plus a few disadvantages (yes, I’ll have to admit it’s not all a bed of roses).

Top Ten Advantages of Studying Locally:

  • No need to learn to speak the local language – you already know it!
  • Who needs winter and autumn clothes? Your existing clothes can be worn in all 4 Malaysian seasons: Hot, Bloody Hot, Raining Like Cats & Dogs and Haze.
  • You can find roti canai and wantan mee any time of the day, anywhere you want.
  • During your semester breaks you can find good temporary employment at McDonalds/Kedai Ubat Tong Huat/roadside VCD stall/Kamdar without worrying about work permits.
  • Can act as tour guide to your foreign student friends during weekend holiday trips: “Don’t worry, I can bring you all shopping at the world famous Phoenix Plaza shopping centre!”
  • Why bother if you’ve never gone to Hyde Park/Trafalgar Square/Petticoat Junction/Harrod’s? Our very own SS2 Pasar malam on Monday nights is the best in the world!
  • My tuition fees : RM1700 PER YEAR. Room Rental : RM450 PER MONTH. Go figure.
  • No bomb scares, no terrorists, no transport workers union strike, no blizzards, no hurricanes, etc...
  • You can eat maggi mee everyday if you want.
  • Our fine tertiary education system is superbly poised to prepare you for a career in online journalistic publishing (i.e. blogging)

Top Five Disadvantages of Studying Locally:

  • Your parents come and visit all the time. Worse still if you’re still staying with them.
  • Public toilets have no toilet paper. Not even the holder.
  • Some local colleges’ names are so uncool (“Kolej Olympia”? "Institut Goon" ?!!)
  • You have to eat maggi mee everyday if you are broke.
  • Lack of job opportunities make lead you to become a third-rate blogger.

8 Comments:

  • Hahaha, Simon, I am going to put you on my daily read. The next time, I am not too lazy to tweak my template page. Keep the laughs coming. Happy April fool.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 4/01/2005 11:46:00 am  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Yun, at 4/01/2005 03:38:00 pm  

  • For most of the points - you are absolutely right!

    Shame on those so-called more "experienced" people who boast and look down on their fellow friends who studied locally.

    My experience in Canada has been one of the worse, and one of the greatest because of friendships that I found here. Other than that, I hate the weather, and the locals are not all that friendly too (I think they're a little backward in a lot of stuff).

    The largest mall in the world is located at my place. Still, I would say KL is 10 times better than this place :D

    Keep it up! ;)

    By Blogger Yun, at 4/01/2005 03:43:00 pm  

  • Hey,
    I share the same feeling as yours.

    By Blogger inevitable, at 4/01/2005 04:35:00 pm  

  • simon, i studied overseas and i found one disadvantage, and it could be a damn negative point for a shy guy like me...

    ppl studying in local colleges tend to have more friends, in a way more friends of opposite gender to mix with, as compared to those studied overseas. that was y i was left unattached for so long after back to msia.. i had a group of overseas-ed friends who keep on admiring our local-ed friends having a wonderful love life.. :(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/01/2005 10:17:00 pm  

  • Wah, both of us are sharing the same kind of experiance. Look like you also have these friends that tend to irritate you so much , and try to membanggakan themselves in front of you. Just ignore them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/02/2005 08:08:00 pm  

  • Simon, do u have any idea where can i get a good MBA in msia?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2005 12:34:00 am  

  • i haven't done much research into it, but what did find out in January was that most foreign uni in msia (nottingham, monash) accept only full time courses.

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/04/2005 09:06:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com