Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Saturday, March 19, 2005

A Life Almost Forgotten

Everybody naturally has 4 grandparents, two maternal and two paternal. Some people live into adulthood with all their grandparents still around, some never have the chance to meet anyone of them. Most people fall in between, knowing just one or two of them for awhile when they were young.

My maternal grandmother lived a hard life. She came down from China alone, and lived for most of her life in Malaya in poverty without any relatives. As I knew her, she was a bitter woman with a caustic tongue, a trait somewhat passed down to my mom and me. In her later years, she suffered near-total deafness, and spoke very little. In fact in the 18 years I knew and lived with her, she hardly spoke to me, although she brought me up in the early years. I guess the adage is true, “if you do not have anything good to say to someone…”

She was a chain smoker. And she only smoked one type of fag, Signal brand. I don’t think you can find that brand anymore. As a result, she perpetually suffered from horrible cough and other related ailments.

As I think back now, the only times I remember her smile and laugh is when she used to play cards with her best friend in Batu Gajah, Perak.

She watched silently as her husband fade away in old age and death at 91, and she herself passed on in silence and alone in our her room, nearly 80.

Because she never really talked to me much, she brought with her to the grave a treasure trove of memories, sights, distant faces, broken hope and dreams in her life.

I would have loved to hear about her childhood in China, her friends, her sojourn into a faraway land, her wonderful stories of bringing up 2 children.

In life we make our own choices and live by them, and sometimes these choices are predetermined and we just have to accept them.

But to die alone is one of the greatest travesties in life.

6 Comments:

  • Simon, i think you wrote a very touching story. Sometimes, i wonder how come i could not write as good as you. When i say that, i mean it. So pls dont write a post or something saying i am fake.

    There are some bloggers that i will never visit. Those that create stories just for the fame.

    The story make me wonder what is the purpose of life. Everything fades with time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2005 07:08:00 pm  

  • thanks, MrK. Dun worry i'll never flame anyone on the Net or in real life either.

    I guess blogging and everything else in life, you got to do it from your heart, it doesn't really matter if ppl think its good or not.

    Hope you come back soon.

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 3/19/2005 08:24:00 pm  

  • RIP to your grandmother.
    It's a touching story, thanks for sharing out with us out there. :)

    Everyone is learning since they're born and upon their final time. Just spend much time and afford in blogging and eventually you'll be better. Try to be unique.

    Well... I just speak out what's in my mind, for me I'm still a newbie blogger. :P

    By Blogger CLF, at 3/19/2005 10:35:00 pm  

  • Off topic:

    Simon do you have MSN? Can I add you? Or you add me, my e-mail is
    clf_devilzx@yahoo.co.uk

    Thanks. :)

    By Blogger CLF, at 3/20/2005 08:25:00 pm  

  • Like you, I have often wondered about the stories and experiences that remain hidden behind my grandparents craggly faces. I was lucky enough my paternal grandfather shared some of his just a few years before he passed away.

    Now, only my maternal grandmother is left. One of the stories she told that I still remember is how her sister died from gunfire just beside her during the second world war.

    I wonder why a lot of us never realize that behind the silent grandpas and grandmas that they only meet during festivals lies the connection to their past, a link that sheds light on who they really are.

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/21/2005 08:16:00 am  

  • I can't remember my maternal grandparents and only saw my paternal grandparents once in a blue moon. As for my kids now, they only have one grandparent to dote on them ie my dad.

    By Blogger Mumsgather, at 3/21/2005 11:57:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com