Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Simon Finally Goes To Borders Bookstore

Yeah, I know I swore not to step foot into Berjaya Times Square again, but I’d make an exception for Borders. I read a few blogs saying that it was quite a disappointment, but I went to see it for myself. It was quite nice actually, not as big as I envisioned it to be, seeing all those empty shoplots at that place, anyway.

Comparisons will inevitably be drawn with Kinokuniya KLCC and MPH Midvalley (or 1 Utama new wing). I won’t go into the details, but I feel that Borders in still in the setting-up stage, they would probably fit in more shelves and sections in the near future. Well, let me list down some pros and cons based on my observations:

Pros:
  • Some sections are quite impressive: Art, World History, US History, Science Fiction, etc.
  • Spacious

Cons:

  • Store assistance fooling around while me & some customers wait for them to help us.
  • Most books not exactly new, probably ex-stock from Singapore.
  • Not that many places to sit and read; not cosy and inviting.
  • Price is roughly the same as Kino (which means MPH would be generally cheaper)
  • Tiled flooring is so passé.
  • What the heck is World of Feng Shui doing in the shop?!


Despite trying my best not to buy something, I fell hook, line and sinker for their “Buy 3 for 2” gimmick. I got the following for about RM76:

  • John Le Carre’s “Absolute Friends
  • Mark Haddon’s “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
  • Ian Caldweld & Dustin Thomason's “The Rule of Four
  • Spelling book for my kid.

I would say the place was alright, but it would take a few more trips to really explore the whole inventory. Too bad about its location, though…


Back to main page.

8 Comments:

  • Simon, you hit it right on the nail when you said its somehow not cozy and inviting enough. And having WOFS in the store is a big mistake in my opinion, too.

    Borders in Singapore was carpeted, making for a much quieter environment.

    The collection's also a bit weird, I counted at least 4 shelves devoted to military history, with quite a number of the books on the Iraq war. Maybe they had too many of those in the US and decided to dump them here? And I don't think those rows and rows of books on baseball and American Football are going to sell well (give us EPL then you're talking).

    I might end up just browsing there to check out the books then buying them elsewhere unless they buck up and justify the high prices with a better environment and better service.

    At the moment, I think MPH 1 U will still get a large chunk of my annual RM2k budget for books, followed by Kinokuniya, then Borders.

    Simon, can I borrow "Rule of Four" from you in exchange for Sue Townsend's latest :)

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2005 10:43:00 am  

  • no problem, you can borrow it anytime, i won't be reading it so soon. I actually had problems choosing 3 books for the offer, most of them were crap ("Donald Trump"?!). I only wanted the "Curious Dog" book.

    You spend RM2k on books? For the past 3 years I only spent about RM500-600, evidently from the receipts during tax time...

    I dun think i'll be buying any more for a few months...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/26/2005 11:14:00 am  

  • should also get 'the five people you meet in heaven' by Mitch Albom. it is light and interesting. have a good day.

    By Blogger Patrick Leong, at 4/26/2005 11:37:00 am  

  • Yah, a big chunk of it goes to books related to my work, while the rest are self-help(!), and a smattering of novels and non-fiction.

    Wife's not too happy about it, so I probably got to reduce :p

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2005 11:39:00 am  

  • patrick leong - i've heard a lot about that book, must try it...

    patrick - if most of it is for work then you can claim it back right? then you can also buy one or two for her to keep her happy (like the latest Companies Act).

    She doesn't read my blog, does she?!!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/26/2005 11:50:00 am  

  • Planning to make a visit this weekend when i m back to KL home... hope can squeeze out some time.

    Seeing yours comments, i think MPH in MVC still my 1st choice. Pity here in Penang, none is up to the par.

    By Blogger keng 坑, at 4/26/2005 05:33:00 pm  

  • i've only been to 1 mph in pg, that's the one in gurney plaza. nice decor, but quite small...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/26/2005 05:58:00 pm  

  • 3 for 2 is normal here. Anyway 'Curious...' is a wonderful book if not a little too short. Enjoy it.

    By Blogger Jon Choo, at 4/27/2005 08:38:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com