Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Simon Finally Tries KFC’s Curry Crunch

I wanted to try it 2 Saturdays ago, but after reading this blog on PPS saying it was crap (can't remember which blog), I decided to have my lunch in good ‘ol McDs. But the craving was getting the better of me, so yesterday I had a go…

But before that, I must say here and now that I don’t go to KFC much at all, since all my few visits there in the last 10 years have pretty much been disappointing. When I was kid, going to KFC was like a treat, since it was all we had in my hometown. But coming to the city to work, I was more of a McDs/BK guy…. KFC’s chicken started getting smaller and smaller…and the idea of cheap, foreign workers preparing my food was quite a turn off.

So I kind of stopped going there, anyway their Original Recipe seem to get worse everytime I tasted it. They started introducing wave after wave of novelty gimmicks, all of them pretty crap – Colonel’s burger, Zinger burger, Original Recipe fillet burger (what a rip-off), cheesy wedges (just looking at it makes me feel like regurgitating), popcorn chicken (one pack is not even enough to feed a hamster) and Chocolate Chips 'N Nuts Cookies (what, were they baked by the domesticated chickens?).

And they never had cool toys to collect. And like for like, McDs always seemed cheaper than KFC.

But enough about that. So I bought the Curry Crunch chicken for me and my wife. No, actually I bought ONE set of the Curry Crunch and ONE set of original recipe – just in case the curry chicken tasted like crap.

So the verdict? It was actually quite OK. But nothing spectacular or fantastic. Just some flavouring on the fried skin. Of course it doesn’t justify all those OTT ads we hear on the radio and on TV. Just OK, another take on the traditional way to fry the dead bird.

But I think by taking the Hot & Spicy off the menu to promote it is annoying what few loyal customers they have.

I’m wondering, what other gimmicks are they going to come up with? Satay chicken? Rendang chicken with rice? Friend chicken porridge? I’m not holding my breath…


Back to main page.

10 Comments:

  • Among all burgers that KFC introduce, I like their Deli Burger which was only RM1.25. Yeah, i dunno why they took it down after. When my mum was lazy to cook, i would buy 12 of them and we would eat it for dinner. :D

    By Blogger Jason Lioh, at 4/20/2005 05:27:00 pm  

  • Never fancy KFC unless it is in some ulu place and that's the only fast food outlet around. However, the best fried chicken are those sold at Haadyai. *sigh* Never dare to step foot into Haadyai, sked of bird flu la, bombing, riot, ghosts (from the bad flood last time), baby snatching, pickpockets, husband seducing and LOL.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 4/20/2005 06:51:00 pm  

  • There was a Tom Yam one late last year, it tastes....weird. Anyway, I tried to the Curry one too, didn't like it at all.

    Pat

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/20/2005 07:50:00 pm  

  • jason - 12 burgers?! how many siblings do you have?!

    5xmom - yeah i heard hadyai's very dangerous. maybe they'll open a Hadyaai Fried Chicken (HKC) chain in malaysia...

    pat & halian - i didn't try the tomyam one. Don't like tomyam...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/20/2005 09:24:00 pm  

  • i got u in my MSN...are you Simon Wong who studied in Klang?

    By Blogger owner, at 4/20/2005 11:47:00 pm  

  • silencers - now they put mayo and some yellow stuff on the wedges...I can fell the cholestrol just looking at it...

    villager - no...never studied in klang...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/20/2005 11:57:00 pm  

  • twinsmom - my fingers didn't touch the chicken much, i always use a tissue to hold it, soaks up the oil and fat and grease and bad cholestrol. And keeps my fingers from getting oily.

    But sambal fried chicken sounds interesting, i'm sure kfc have thot if it...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/22/2005 10:12:00 am  

  • This curry one is really good. :)

    better than the Tom Yam one...

    By Blogger kljs, at 4/22/2005 12:24:00 pm  

  • kljs - looks like a lot of ppl disliked the tom yam flava...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 4/22/2005 02:17:00 pm  

  • Wanted to try it out today, but when the staff refused to let our trolley full of groceries in, we brought our business elsewhere.

    I thnk they had a satay burger, or was it McD?

    By Blogger Papi, at 4/22/2005 03:54:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com