Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Book Tag

It’s a long and busy day ahead, so I’ll do the book meme that has been tagged on me for some time by 5xmom and Loc Kee.


1. Total number of books I've owned: Quite a lot. I’ve only began buying books since working, and a lot of books are borrowed or rented, but I still have quite a collection.



2. Last book I bought – Just last night I bought ‘Heaven Is So Real’ by Choo Thomas. For those who don’t know, this is a book that defies the logic of conventional religion. I read two chapters while sitting at the bench in MPH, so many people have recommended it to me. I’m gonna make all my friends read it, it’s the kind that makes you think seriously about your life and afterlife.



3. Last book I read – ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time’. I’ve reviewed it in my book review blog.


4. Five books or magazine that mean a lot to me – I have many books to fill this slot, to choose five is impossible for me. So I’ll pick five random ones from the top of my head.


  • Lord of the Flies (William Golding) – No, this is not ‘Lost’ in book form. Golding’s study of social interaction where boys survives and fight like men makes the reader think about how we would react in a similar situation.

  • Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt) – I finished the book in two sittings. The movie is crap, don’t ever watch it. It’s a stunning story of McCourt growing in abject poverty (something I could relate to) in Catholic Ireland, with a useless alcoholic father and long-suffering mother. In the 18 years of the book, he is always hungry, cold, ridiculed by his friends for always being penniless, and how he strove to make ends meet and finally sail for America.

  • Dune (Frank Herbert) – I’m not a big fan of sci-fi, but this is an awesome book even if you don’t fancy the genre. The premise is simple and nothing new (boy born with prescient powers destined to be Messiah), but the mixture of politics, religion, technology, betrayal and desert warriors puts this right up there with Asimov and Clarke. Don't read any of the sequels or prequel. Just the original one.

  • Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman) – Gaiman kicks ass. He is funny, he is imaginative and he is the best in the business.

  • Ghost Children (Sue Townsend) – by far the best book by my favourite author. This is serious stuff, about how a middle-age overweight woman spends her life forgetting the haunting memories of an aborted baby in her youth. One day, her ex-lover appears in the rain outside her office walking his dog. Somewhere in the mix, there is a buried fetus, an unwanted child of a hooligan, and a ghost of children past. Fantastic stuff.


5. Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs – Anyone that want to do so, please feel free to consider yourself tagged.





    Back to main page.

    6 Comments:

    • wow... you really different king of reading huh... FYI i have never read any of the books you recommended...
      hmm... which to starts huh???

      By Blogger Loc Kee, at 6/14/2005 12:09:00 pm  

    • i actually need to be in a certain mindframe to do serious reading nowadays... i've kinda stopped for a few months now...

      if you're interested in business/finance books, i strongly recommend "One Up On Wall Street" by Magellan legend Peter Lynch.

      By Blogger Yoong Family, at 6/14/2005 01:08:00 pm  

    • I read several books at the same time, on various topics/fiction/non-fiction. Temporarily, I only read Numbers, Colours and Alphabets. hahaha. Wish I have the luxury to do absolutely nothing but read. *sigh* 'Cos the moment I take out a book, numbers, colours and alphabets need attention too.

      By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 6/14/2005 01:36:00 pm  

    • neil gaiman is absolutely fantastic. I finished neverwhere in 3 days. didn't get round to reading stardust though.

      By Blogger yuin, at 6/14/2005 03:20:00 pm  

    • 5xmom - "see jane run. Run, jane run!"

      yuin - stardust was ok, not in the same league as neverwhere or American gods, but still gaiman. now i'm dreaming of buying the sandman series, one by one... $$$$....

      By Blogger Yoong Family, at 6/14/2005 03:45:00 pm  

    • The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was good. I felt really sorry for the boy. And I'd imagine he'd hate Mr Brown to bits.

      By Blogger coppersnare, at 6/14/2005 11:55:00 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    You're visitor number free web counter
    web counter
    Google
     
    Web wheregot.blogspot.com