Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Sneak Preview of the Toyota Innova

Since the world didn’t end today as predicted by Nostradamus, I’m taking a break from satirical or humour blogs.

Yesterday on the way back from shopping I decided to go and check out the new Chevrolet Sparks and Optra5. I’m not at all interested in buying a car, let alone a Daewoo-pretending-to-be-an-American Chevrolet, but I just like to look at new cars in showrooms and make life difficult for those over-enthusiastic sales people.

Turning into side road, I saw a banner for the Toyota Innova (Kijang) at Toyota showroom, which was 2 doors away from the Chevvy place. Entering the large hall, I there wasn’t an Innova in sight, just the usual gleaming Hiluxes, Camrys and Avanzas. So I asked the salesman, “Where’s the Innova?”

To which he replied, “Not launched yet. But if you want to ‘see’ it, you can go down to Basement 2…”

Waah! Got ‘secret viewing room’ one aah?! OK, I didn’t mind going doing to this ‘covert underground facility’ to see Toyota’s secret weapon, so I followed the smartly-dressed salesman down two floors to the parking basement.

The floor was entirely empty, save for a few Toyota show vehicles (Avanza, Vios, Unser) obviously used for test driving. But there was one metallic brown ‘Kijang’.

It looked solid, with high specs (I won’t go into details, since it’s still not launched yet) but I couldn’t see the interior, since it was locked. Most auto guys actually are quite familiar with this model, since it was launched earlier in Indonesia.

But get this, they actually taped a small piece of paper over the ‘Toyota’ and ‘Innova’ logo. With a cellophane tape! Wow! Hi-tech security!

With the true 8 seat cabin space (unlike the ‘7 seater’ Citra & Avanza for midgets and pygmies), tough suspension, VVT-i, dual airbags, etc and RM90k to RM100k, it will sell VERY well. I can foresee a few months waiting period, just like a certain recent model…

The sales guys even said this, “It will kill the Naza Ria.” (HE said it, not me…)

And by the way, both the Sparks (reminded me something about fried chicken) and Optra5 (still a Korean car) didn’t look appealing to me.




Back to main page.

8 Comments:

  • Morning Simon, that Latin joke you were asking about, got it from: www.whocutthecheez.com
    It's in the Joke of The Day archives, March-April 05 if I'm not mistaken.
    Cheers!

    By Blogger Shan, at 5/24/2005 11:31:00 am  

  • thanks! i used to be quite with this stuff in school! i used to ask my friends "What's um datus?" (What's the date?)

    probably my chinese educated hokkien speaking/swearing friends did appreciate Asterix-inspired puns...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 5/24/2005 11:35:00 am  

  • I don't know man. The Naza Ria look much more appealing to me. Maybe it won't kill it, but it can injure it a little.

    By Blogger Din, at 5/24/2005 11:39:00 am  

  • Wanna see? Go http://www.toyota.astra.co.id/cars/?Model=Kijang+Innova&code=46

    Don't tell anyone, hehe..

    By Blogger coppersnare, at 5/24/2005 01:02:00 pm  

  • wahlaueh, no shit! i was posting abt the innova too! can't wait to test drive it this weekend, muahahahar!

    By Blogger Buaya69, at 5/24/2005 02:05:00 pm  

  • Oi, who wants to kill my Naza Ria? Abuden, I got mine before the price increase at RM98K. What I can say is 'never buy a 7-seater unless you REALLY need it (like me) or else, it is a chore to be bumping around town in a clumsy vehicle. And when the kids are fighting at the last row, you can't turn over, one hand holding the steering, the other, pulling their ears (because they are too far at the back). Wise parenting advice no one should ignore. Hahaha.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 5/24/2005 02:31:00 pm  

  • To me Innova looks like Avanza + Unser hybrid.

    It looks cool, perhaps I should ask my father get it. :P

    By Blogger CLF, at 5/24/2005 02:50:00 pm  

  • fahruddin - i think the salesman was just joking, naza sure can survive one, unless gomen want to do something..

    coppersnare - Nice!

    belacan - great minds think alike!

    5xmom - let me see, family of 6, naza ria is 7-seater, so got place for indonesian maid some more la!

    clf - yes then you can borrow it and impress all your friends!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 5/25/2005 09:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com