Like That Also Can Ah?!!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Friday, June 17, 2005

Fluctuating Roti Canai Price

Two or three times a week I have breakfast at this huge nasi kandar restaurant somewhere in Ampang. The food is OK, the place is clean, the service is quite acceptable. But there’s something I just don’t understand about that place.

Every time I go, I order the same thing. Two roti kosong (they chop it up) and one ‘teh ais’ (I can eat this stuff 3 meals a day).

But every time I got and pay at the counter, I get a different price. Sometimes RM3.10, sometimes RM3.20. The cheapest I got was RM2.40, the highest was RM3.60.


Every time it is different. There can’t be a mistake in the tab, since they use mark out your order on a bill and pass to you.

Today I asked the guy manning the cash register (It’s the same guy everyday). This guy has a perpetual look of boredom on his face (Why? Isn’t it an exhilarating job?).

So I said in Malay, “Boss, do you know that each time I come here, I order the same stuff, but the price is different every time?”

Huh?” came the reply (no change in glazed expression).

So repeated the question (He may need a ‘talian hayat’ to understand the question, folks!).

He replied, “You mean at this shop?”

No, I meant the Lobby Lounge at the JW Marriot, you genius.

When I said yes, he took a few seconds to digest the info, at the same time giving me this baffled look as if I just explained Fermat’s Last Theorem to him.

Anyway, I didn’t have all day, so I just asked him for the ‘price of the day’ (today it soared up to RM3.60 again).


Since there is no price list anywhere (or one that I can see), I’m guessing the correct price should be RM3.20. Or maybe it IS like the share market.





Back to main page.

11 Comments:

  • Brader, is either you kena conned kaw kaw, or the price varies every day depending on the mood. :P In Malacca, one roti kosong is RM0.60 and one teh ais is RM1. So, total should be RM2.20. Perhaps add in another plus minus RM0.20 for error.

    By Blogger Jason Lioh, at 6/17/2005 10:47:00 am  

  • aiyo... ampang cannot find that kind of price already la... i think its 0.80 + 0.80 + 1.60 = 3.20...

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 6/17/2005 10:57:00 am  

  • roti canai too susceptible to market forces. A lot depends on the price of Wheat in Paraguay on any given day.

    By Blogger jedibaba, at 6/17/2005 12:04:00 pm  

  • hmm.. teh ais is around RM 1-RM1.20, roti kosong also about 80 cents - RM1, so paling mahal shud be RM3.20, lah... unless they have service charge, hahahahahaahaha...

    By Blogger zyrin, at 6/17/2005 12:44:00 pm  

  • Mamaks are very genius wan. They charge according to their mood and also how you look. If you look richer, they hike up a few cents. Usually, I comfort myself when I get a plate of nasi kandar that costs RM9.90 with this - Poor guys must have wives here and in Pakistan. So, let them earn a bit more never mind la. Because when I alone go to mamak with 4 kids, prices seem to be cheaper. They kesian me balik. Robin Hood, they are.

    By Blogger 5xmom.com, at 6/17/2005 04:20:00 pm  

  • That's why I still prefer my mamak in old klang road. Standard price of RM2.80 for 2 half boiled eggs, 1 Roti Banjir (actually with me keep on asking for more dhall - think I should call it Roti Tsunami!) and 1 Nescafe Kaww Panas. And the best service ever - the owner know my order by heart!

    By Blogger anjali*, at 6/17/2005 05:38:00 pm  

  • If I were you, I would have asked the cashier to tell me the price of each item that I ordered. If he couldn't get me the correct figure, just show him "nln"!!

    By Blogger The Miserable, at 6/18/2005 12:44:00 am  

  • jedibaba - no wonder so expensive!

    zyrin - service OK only la, should not charge ,me la...

    5xmom - if they know you famous blogger, then they'll charge you kaw-kaw!

    anjali - dun eat so much eggs, cholestrol...

    tiuniasing - good idea!

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 6/18/2005 06:40:00 pm  

  • At least you don't have the problem that you are european.. Beeing a white bastard like me, you are automatically "considered rich". Although I don't earn that much money doing an internship here in Malaysia. Going out with locals they always get a better price...

    By Blogger Jürgen Hösch, at 6/20/2005 10:10:00 am  

  • yeah, some shops are really out to get every extra dollar... i think i should only go to places with price lists from now on.

    By Blogger Yoong Family, at 6/20/2005 10:29:00 am  

  • Bro, I think it's the teh-ais that's making prices fluctuate. They must be charging you for ice on a per-cube basis. ;P

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/22/2005 06:51:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You're visitor number free web counter
web counter
Google
 
Web wheregot.blogspot.com